I'm jetting off for a two week break to see my 'little' brother get married on the beautiful island of Sanibel. Sun, sea, sand and fun! While a holiday is just what the Dr ordered, I find flying, and travelling in general, to be quite a stressful endeavour, and with two flights and a 3 hour layover ahead of me, I'm predicting some serious damage to my wellbeing!
I'm no stranger to long haul flights. I used to regularly take the 11 hour flight to Houston to go home, and so I'm well seasoned in knowing exactly what will help make those hours as stress free and comfortable as possible. Here's my carry on essentials!
1. Two spare pairs of pants!- If your luggage doesn't arrive at your destination, you'll be bloody glad you've got these!
2. Nightwear- Again, just in case your checked in bag doesn't arrive with you.
3. A good book, with a reading light- Nothing makes me feel more travel sick than squinting to read the text in a book on a dark flight. I tend to feel guilty having the over-head light on when other's are tying to sleep, and this little LED book light is the perfect answer. No more squinting, and no more travel guilt!
4. Comfy Shoes- I love these TOM's, super comfy with their padded insoles, stylish enough to make it look like you've got it 'together', and easy to slip on and off. Great option if your feet swell on planes too, as you won't need to do your back in trying to get them back on! And they donate a pair to a child in need for every pair bought. Everyone's a winner.
5. Tea Tree and Peppermint Foot Pack- These little booties are an absolute life saver on a long haul flight. They cool your feet, keep the circulation going, and leave them moisturised and refreshed, ready to walk miles in the airport! An easy way of pampering yourself during those in flight films! I found these at Poundland!
6. Face Wipes- Not considered a 'liquid', so you don't need to put it in the little clear bags, and so needed a few hours into a flight. Refreshing, easy, and great for minimising the stress on your skin. Pictured are Aldi's own brand 3 in 1 cleansing wipes.
7. Face Moisturiser- Following on from your face wipes, a good facial moisturiser does wonders in the dry and recycled air on a flight. I love La Roche-Posay's 'Rosaliac UV- Legere', anti-redness moisturiser. It's cooling and absorbs well, giving your thirsty skin a much needed boost of thermal spring water.
8. Lip Balm- My old favourite Vaseline Rose lip balm gives you lip moisturisation and a little aromatherapy all in one. Perfect to refresh your nasal passages from all those weird airline smells!
9. Deodorant- There really is nothing worse that being crammed in a seat, feeling hot and bothered and stressed that you may need a top up of deodorant. This is also very necessary the other end if your checked in bag doesn't arrive. (Can you tell this has happened to me more than once!?)
10. Toothpaste- A small tube of toothpaste is a necessity in my book, as it's one of the few rituals on a flight that actually helps me sleep. Feeling clean and refreshed on a flight is one of the best ways of making sure it doesn't leave you feeling stressed the other end. And then you can get on with your holiday more quickly!
11. Travel Sized Refillable Bottles- This little pack of bottles, in all the right sizes to carry on, cost £1 from Primark! A great way of making sure you have your favourite shampoo, conditioner and body wash ready for when you arrive at your destination, without the weight in your checked in bag.
I try to limit myself to these essentials, including my phone and headphones for music. Carrying a heavy bag around the airport, or trying to stash too much into the overhead compartment is never fun, and I've learned from experience can leave you sore and in pain for the first few days of your holiday. I once traveled from Houston to London to Rome with a carry on bag full of Le Creuset cast iron and stoneware casserole dishes! That took a while to get over!
So the bags are packed and we'll be back in a few weeks for more updates on all things wellbeing! In the mean time, we'll be soaking up some Vitamin D and practicing some mindfulness on the beach. Take care!